Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Just Bored.....

Not really anything exciting lately... We had a storm blow through last weekend, so we really didn't do much.

I'm still looking for a proper job, it's been 2 years now and there really isn't anything available. My job interview responses are "Oh, you're over 30" or " we're looking for someone between the ages of 24 and 26" or "out of the candidates with the same requisites, we're sorry to inform you that we've chosen the younger candidate". . . makes me feel old even if I really am not.
I've even applied to be a shop assistant and they've said either that I'm not the right age or that they would like someone who has already had shop experience. I dunno, but I really don't think that it takes a rocket scientist to be a shop assistant; I mean with my resume and all (10 years work experience) maybe they should at least try me out???

So, in the mean time, I try my hardest to be patient and repeat to myself "good things come to those who wait" and I keep on teaching a few private English lessons. Oh, by the way! I got my certificate at the end of March! I am now officially a certified ESL teacher!

In the recommendation letter it says "Having performed higher than the required level in all course assignments, Christina has been awarded a pass at grade B." (I really was aiming for an A, but a grade B will do!)


6 comments:

Kayley said...

bummer about the jobs... what exactly is a shop assistant, and why does it matter how old you are? Good luck!

Marci said...

You are so not even old! Congrats on getting your certification though! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :-)!

Summer said...

Eh! That's the strangest thing I've ever heard...too old at 30? Geez! I'll keep my fingers AND toes crossed for you too.

Christina said...

A shop assistant is person who works in a store and sells clothes!

Things here in Italy are really crazy at the moment. 30 is old because if you're younger they can give you a contract with government facilitations, such as free taxes and benefits that the company doesn't have to pay. Another problem is being 30 and married: nobody wants to hire a woman who is 30 and married because they're afraid that they'll just get pregnant and go on maternity leave which amounts to almost a year here in Italy, and then you have the right to demand part time work hours when you actually do go back to work. So no one wants to hire women over the age of 30 (and married). Another reason is, is that if you are younger they can make you work more with the excuse "oh everyone has to do over time at the beginning" and they don't pay you for it. Older people who have been there, done that, WON'T DO IT anymore because it's 1. just plain illegal, 2. because now they're "older and smarter".

So They (companies/employers) try to play with the fact that jobs are scarce, obligating younger people to do more work with half the experience they should have, so that they obtain almost the same outcome buuuut with more money in the employers pocket.

Kelley said...

I don't understand the age issue either. If anyone could like about their age, it'd be you! Send blessings and good luck. I know you'll land the perfect job. That's just how you are♥

Kelley said...

Well then, I didn't see your explanation of the "age thing". Now I'm even more ticked. I'm crossing everything too :)