Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Aunt Flora

A few years ago my Aunt Flora passed away (she was my Grandma's older sister), unfortunatly I didn't get to say good bye since I live so far away.
She was an interesting and elegant lady that moved around the world a lot during the 30's because her husband was an officer in the military. During one of her overseas stays she started to buy silverware by correspondance piece by piece...
When I went to visit my family for Christmas in 2006-2007, my Grandma asked me if I would like to have some of Aunt Flora's things to remeber her by. I was THRILLED and felt so lucky! I was given all of her vintage jewelry (wich I adore and use) and her silverware set that she so lovingly bought piece by piece by correspondace from Korea or some other Asian country.
Today out of curiosity I googled the silverware brand and found out that the set I have has become a piece of art deco: Art Deco Sterling Flatware"Westmoreland"
Eventhough Aunt Flora wasn't always 100% "there", I remember her lovingly and look back and laugh at all the funny things she would give me and my family as gifts for Christmas: Soap bars, used parfume, cupons, funny smelling lotions etc. It was always fun at Christmas to say "I wonder what Aunt Flora got us this year!??" Anyhow, we loved her very much, and I feel so special to have this beautiful set of Art Deco Silverware to rember her by.

The Silverware Set

Some pictures of the vintage jewelry


my favorite set

Beautiful purple broach


4 comments:

Heather said...

How fun - the silverware is awesome!

Annemarie said...

That is very, very cool.

Kayley said...

I loooooove the jewelry- it's gorgeous!

Kelley said...

It's beautiful. I love that it's in good hands. What a treat to have those things to remind you of her.