Thursday, July 17, 2008

Change of Menu!

Ok, so last night's dinner menu changed while I was at the supermarket buying the ingredients. First I realized that it's not fennel season, and here in Italy it's hard to get out of season veggies; Second, at the fish counter they didn't have fresh salmon fillets so I decided to change it all together!

I bought fresh tuna and swordfish. I cut the tuna and swordfish into cubes and marinated them in extra-virgin olive oil with a few cloves of chopped garlic and parsley for 45min. In the meantime that it marinated I prepared the side dish: I browned cubes of eggplant and chopped leek with just a touch of onion and topped it off with a dash of soy sauce (I use soy sauce with cooked vegetables as a salt substitute).
After marinating, I cooked the cubes of tuna & sordfish in pan. I served the tuna & sordfish together with the browned eggplant & leak .

I also made a smoked tuna carpaccio salad with rocket leaves, cherry tomatoes dressed with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. And just in case it wasn't enough, I made "patate al verde" (steamed potatoes dressed with fresh chopped parsley, extra-virgin olive oil and 1 crushed garlic clove) Oh yeah! And as an appetizer we had smoked salmon bits with butter crostini (toasted Italian bread with butter on top) .
We finished with watermelon slices and lemon sorbet.

It all turned out really yummy and our guests were happy and had a full belly! I love having people over and improvising recipes!

1 comment:

Marci said...

Sounds yummy! You are quite the gourmet :-)!