Wednesday, July 2, 2008

ProgeNIA


A five-year, $5 million international research initiative funded by the National Institute on Aging could help scientists unravel the underlying genetic processes involved in certain age-related traits and diseases.

The ProgeNIA project will focus on Sardinia, an isolated Mediterranean island where historically there has been little immigration. As a result, most inhabitants share common ancestors and have inherited many of the same genetic traits. The interrelatedness of this population should simplify the identification of genes involved in age-related conditions, such as cardiovascular disease.

“With this project we want to study aging, and in particular to identify genes involved in the development of several pathophysiological conditions typical of old age,” said David Schlessinger, Ph.D., chief of the NIA's Laboratory of Genetics. “The Sardinian population, thanks to its genetic patrimony, can make a fundamental contribution to the understanding of human biology.”

So, our annual meeting just finished, and our team has come up with lot's of results. The U.S. NIH has sponsored this project called ProgeNIA
The team has "Uncovered a New Piece to the Puzzle of Human Height"
discovered genes involved in Asthma and in β-Thalassemia and sickle cell disease.

Here I am with Prof. David Schlessinger
Our NIH Coordinator.

If you would like to se more pictures go to My facebook page here.



8 comments:

Marci said...

What a cool project to be a part of! Very interesting!

Pyatt said...

Very interesting...I remember when you used to crawl through a Barbie tube in your hallway and now you are doing research!! Where does the time go?

Christina said...

OMG! I remember that tube! At caminito westchester, when we ALL lived in Mira Mesa!! I can always say that you were MY favorite baby sitter! I'm sure you got plenty of experience with me (what a brat I was!) and that you are 100% tested for motherhood!
I saw that your house is for sale? Are you moving from San Diego? I hope not... Xoxo Christina!

Christina said...

hey marci, we are studying celiac desease as well... I always think of you when it comes up! Let's hope our researchers find something on it too!

Annemarie said...

Thanks for saying hi! Do you even remember me?? What's this about Jamie being your favorite babysitter...? I thought I was. I can't believe two little girls I used to babysit (you & Marci) are all grown up. That makes me REALLY old! You are such a beautiful girl & I'm so impressed with everything you are doing. Your mom looks EXACTLY the same...a natural beauty. Please tell her I say Hi!

Sally Jensen Interiors said...

Great to see your blog! Your life looks like so much fun!

Kelley said...

How facinating. I am definitely going to follow this. I love reading about your adventurous life!

Mark and Meghan said...

wow, what a cool project. it's so fun to see you...and actually i was thinking the other day how we sat outside after sacrament meeting one sunday and you were sitting with jill and you were squeezing your leg and saying, "see i have cellulite!" i thought it was so funny, because you actually had to squeeze something to get it. haha...do you remember that? maybe i do, because that subject hits home :) hahah. i can't believe you found me and even remember me! it's great to see you...