Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I FORGOT MY CAMERA!!!!!

Ok, so I had the whole evening planned out, Enrico came back from work early opened presents, we relaxed a bit and then got dressed-up and were going to dinner when I looked for my camera that is ALWAYS in my purse now a days and .... IT WASN'T THERE! Terror! Dismay! Panic! Where is my camera!? Think! Quick! What did you do today Christina? Did it fall out of my beach bag? Oh but wait! I went to Enrico's beach house and was taking funny pictures if our niece (Carlotta) in the back yard... GRAB THE PHONE QUICK - CALL MY MOTHER IN LAW (Marinella) - "Did I leave my camera there?" (terror in my voice) "yes you did, Carlotta found it out side and brought it to me"
RELIEF!


I was so caught up in playing with Carlotta (hadn't seen her in a few weeks, they were in Ireland on vacation) that I set my camera aside and just forgot it...... I will be retrieving my camera only today, Enrico's mother will be coming back into town to go to Giovanni Allevi's Piano Concert together tonight. We are going to the old Roman Amphitheater which is way cool! They have restored the original theater that was built between the 1st century B.C. and 1st century A.D. and re-opened it to public use. It's just so cool that I will be sitting where Roman Emperors once sat. Here is a web site link so that you can see a slide show of the restoration, unfortunately the description is in Italian so the pictures will have to do... AMPHITHEATER
And a short description from me:
The Roman Amphitheatre is the largest monument from the Roman Empire in Sardinia. It has an elliptical shape and was dug into the rock-face of the hillside, with a capacity to hold 10,000 spectators.
The tiers of seats are arranged around the central area on three different levels and were reserved for the various social classes of the era. The underground galleries, which still exist today, were connected by a cistern which was used to fill the arena with water for battle ship contests.
The entertainment which took place at the amphitheatre was mainly contests between gladiators or between gladiators and ferocious animals.
However, the arena was also used as a stage for theatre productions.


The Amphitheater today
a replica of how it was before
The Roman Amphitheatre

4 comments:

Kelley said...

I'm so glad you found your camera. That would have been TRAGIC. Happy Birthday Enrico!

Christina said...

Thanks Kel!

Heather said...

Still sounds like a great birthday -I just hate when I don't have my camera with me on hand at all times!!!

Marci said...

What a bummer you forgot your camera, but at least it isn't lost! Your life sounds like one big vacation all the time...I'm moving to Italy :-)!