Monday, August 4, 2008

Ahoy Mates!

My mom and step-dad got to Italian waters earlier than they though on their way back from Menorca. So when we heard they were in Carloforte we decided to get in the car and meet them there! We stayed over night on Saturday and then navigated back to Cagliari with my step-dad and a few friends of theirs that were already with them on the boat. (my mom was done with navigating so she decided to drive the car back to Cagliari) It took us 10 hours to sail from Carloforte Island back to Cagliari's port. It was a bit adventurous at the end because it was pitch dark and you couldn't see the port, and because of the city lights it was hard to distinguish the red and green flashing lights that signaled the port's entrance. As we got closer it became a bit easier, but it was still an adrenaline rush!

While we were on the boat Saturday, one of our friends, Alberto went sea urchin fishing. I know this is gonna sound crazy to you but...... we actually eat them! We made sea urchin pasta for dinner on Saturday (pictures will follow).


On our way to Carloforte on the Ferry


The Small Town of Carlofort and its Port

The Port

Getting ready to board the sail boat

Sea Urhin Net

Sea Urchins
An open Sea Urchin, that yummy orange stuff is what you eat!

My Mà cleaning one out

The yummy stuff in a jar


Cala Zafferano
(Saffron Cove - don't ask me why it's called that way)

Enrico Snorkeling at Saffron Cove

Hoisting Sails


Beautiful Sunset on the route home....

Me just about "baked" from too much sun!!

In the Dark

In the Dark



5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow girly - what a beautiful place and the pictures are gorgeous - Sea Urchin - Yummy! I am not sure about that one!:0)

Christina said...

oh yes! totaly yummy!
we even eat horse meat here, ask Nancy, we tricked her into eating it! ;)

Kelley said...

I can't believe how beautiful it is! Please give you mom a hug for me. I love and miss her!

Kristina said...

Christina! It's Kristina! When I got a comment from you I couldn't believe it! Over the years I'd wonder where all my childhood friends have gone. So thanks to the blogging world, now I know! You look like you have a pretty hard life. :) Traveling and living in the most gorgeous places. Maybe someday I'll find the time... I also couldn't believe the cecily post! It's so fun to see where everyone is now days. And that early 90s pic is classic. Take care!

Adam and Dani said...

Hey Christina, it's Dani. I'm with Kristina, you look to have the hard life! I am so jealous Nick got to come visit you! Hope all is well.